I recently had the chance to sit down with George Couros to talk about the intersection of leadership and management on "The Innovator's Mindset" podcast. Of course, we also talked about relationships and how leaders help facilitate meaningful change through the power of connection. Our conversation covered so much ground that I wanted to highlight a few of my favorite moments.
One of the things I appreciate most about George is his ability to engage in heartfelt dialogue while also pushing things deeper. Somehow, in our 45 minutes together we covered everything from pickleball and puppy-socks to pedagogy and innovative budgeting practices. Here are six things I'm still thinking about as a result of our conversation:
1. Schools that prioritize curiosity and empowered learning achieve unexpected results - even with our youngest learners.
2. We need to place as much emphasis on supporting teachers and their well-being as we do on high-stakes testing/protocols.
3. Dogs are awesome and we'll do anything for our kids.
4. When we apply leadership and innovation to conventional management practices we can co-create something better for the students we serve.
5. A learning mindset is one of the most important resources we have.
6. Aaron Rodgers is a very good football player...and pickleball is a real sport.
I'm fortunate to not only consider George a good friend, but also my publisher! I hope the podcast is uplifting, helpful, and something that supports ongoing conversations about who we want to be for students and each other. Be sure to check out the fun challenge (below) if you'd like a chance to win a free copy of my book, Reclaiming Our Calling: Hold on to the Heart, Mind, and Hope of Education.
Bonus Book Give-Aways: Share one take-away from our conversation (or something you'd like to add) to #InnovatorsMindset and #ReclaimingOurCalling. I'll mail a signed copy of my latest book, Reclaiming Our Calling, to one person who responds using both the hashtags.
As an added bonus, if you are a pickleball player and you tweet George an inspiring pickleball meme or positive pickleball quote and tag me in the tweet, I will enter you into a drawing for a second signed book. (This will make more sense after you listen to the show!)